Trofie Pasta With Eggplant and ZucchiniPrint Recipe
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pound eggplant
- ½ pound zucchini
- ¾ pound dry trofie pasta, like ziti, fusilli, shells or rigatoni
- 4 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh basil
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a saucepan and add the garlic. Cook and stir without browning. Add the tomatoes, parsley, oregano, pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Stir to blend, bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile cut off the ends of the eggplant and peel. Cut it into 1-inch cubes.
Cut the ends off the zucchini and slice into 1-inch thick slices.
Heat the remaining olive oil in a large skillet. When the oil is very hot, add the eggplant, zucchini, salt and pepper. Cook, tossing, until nicely browned and tender. Add to the tomato sauce. Mix well and cook for 15 minutes.
Drop the pasta into salted boiling water and cook to the desired degree of doneness. Drain and reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid.
Return the pasta to the pot, add the reserved cooking liquid, the vegetable and sauce mixture, basil and Parmesan cheese. Toss and serve hot.